RESORT/kefalonia/Lourdas/facilities/places of interest/Sisia monastery

Sisia Monastery

Sisia Monastery a brief desrciption

The Monastery of Sisia was built in the 13th Century once a former Byzantine chapel was the wealthiest monastery on the island. According to tradition it is linked to Francis of Assisi who allegedly bequeathed his icon the Virgin of Sission.

Maintained and rebuilt from numerous earthquakes by the monks, it was finally abandoned after the great earthquake of 1953 for a new and modern building in close proximity. The fact it was rebuilt so often is testimony to the dedication of the monks


Though still standing in part mostly the old monastery of Sisia has succumbed to the weather and gravity and is in ruins. That which remains hints at its grandeur, the tiled floor of the chapel, fading frescoes in the small alcoves and the underground water chamber.


Sisia is located off the main Argostoli to Skala road 2.2Km from Simotata. The turning is onto a good tarmac road to the new monastery. From there it is a 1min walk along a rough track. At times this track is navigable by car but usually only 4*4 are recommended.

A beach below the monastery is a quiet reprieve but a long trek in the busy tourist season. If you go, take plenty of water and or make it a picnic day.

Extra information leave/view a comment

View other Comments